Tuesday, April 24, 2012

WRITE WHENEVER YOU CAN

It is 5am and I'm watching I Love Lucy, one of my favorite shows in the world. I'm sure I've seen each episode over twenty times each. What else do I find myself doing at this hour? Writing. I have been diagnosed with Lupus and it is a disease that keeps you in pain and battling fatigue constantly.

Since I'm not working at the time, I try to imagine a world where I can make all the money that I need to support myself and my daughter. Notice that I stated that I want to support myself. If my writing ever took me to a place where I can throw in a few Louis Vuitton bags, I could very well be the most happiest person in the world.

It has always been my dream that I write for a living. To use my creativity to entertain the world. Not every single one of you are going to like me. (I wish you would because I'm some kind of awesome, a loyal friend, and I make the best mac and cheese.) I'm putting the editors touch on one manuscript now but I'm so scared. I can best describe it as this: you write a book all the way to the end, loving your characters, the plot, you set the stage pretty much.

The first thing that comes to mind after the proverbial, The End, is how in the world did I manage to string along a bunch of crap for the past hundred or so pages? The story sounded great in my head as I wrote it down, so how didn't I translate that into words? In my opinion that is what makes a writer a great writer compared to a mediocre writer. Can you take a concept or a unique idea, and then breathe life into that idea or concept and carry it all the way to the end? Can you create convincing scenes that motivate your characters to spring into action without sounding contrived?

Ah...the joys of being a writer. Once you put your heart and soul into something, it's hard to see it get ripped to shreds by the anonymity of people hiding behind a computer screen. But in the end, it's the readers that get to decide whether or not you should quit your day job to make this a full time gig. That's what makes writing a wonderful profession.

Tea of The Day: Orange Spice

No comments:

Post a Comment