Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Learning From Book Reviews

Writing is a skill that not everyone is suited for. It has always remained a passion for me and will continue to do so until the day I transition from this earthly existence.

When you find yourself sifting through the reviews on your work, the process can be a bit daunting. You have to know exactly how to look at criticism and decide which is helpful and which is not. There are very few legitimate book reviews out there because a lot of times the reader has something personal against the writer. Sometimes they just don't like the layout, the cover art, or more trivialities.

But when you do get that rare chance to read a review, good or bad, it should be relished. It is an opportunity for you as the writer to get good feedback on your work.

There is a reviewer that reviewed two of my books on Amazon. Now she gave them two and three stars respectively, but I appreciate the time that she took in giving my work an honest review, even if I didn't like what she said. I respect it because it was honest and unbiased.

Because of it, I'm working on becoming a better writer and create characters that aren't cookie cutter two dimensional people. I want my work to be better than that and I should strive harder to be better.

To that reviewer. Thank you. I'm only getting better because of your honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment